I have been making my own yogurt at least every two weeks for almost the past 20 years. That’s hard for me to believe, but it’s true. I started the Specific Carbohydrate Diet in October 1990 and I’ve been making 24-hour yogurt ever since.
Until now, I’ve always used my Yogourmet maker. I purchased the maker all those years ago from Lucy’s Kitchen Shop. The Yogourmet at times reaches a temperature a little above the recommended 110 degrees fahrenheit, but when I purchased the yogurt maker, I spoke to Lucy about that (these were pre-Amazon days!). She told me that Elaine Gottschall (author of Breaking the Vicious Cycle) said the Yogourmet is fine to use and the temp going above 110 for some of the time is fine. I’m saying this because it’s something I’ve seen debated in various SCD groups.
At any rate, I’ve been using the same Yogourmet the entire time and it still works great. However, when I saw a yogurt button on my Instant Pot I couldn’t resist trying it out. After all everyone seems to be making their own Instant Pot yogurt these days and I was starting to get a little FOMO.
I have to admit I love making yogurt in the Instant Pot. It’s not much different, but there are a few pros:
- You can boil the milk in the Instant Pot on the boil setting (see video for details) and you don’t even have to stir it, monitor it or even take the temperature! You just put the milk in and the Instant Pot will automatically shut off when the milk reaches 185 F degrees! No standing over a hot stove waiting for the milk to reach the correct temperature.
- The temperature remains constant while the yogurt is incubating. Unlike the Yogourmet it never goes above 110 degrees.
- The taste is milder. I don’t know why this is, but yogurt made in the Instant Pot is less sour than my Yogourmet yogurt.
The only con is you may not want to have your Instant Pot tied up making yogurt for 24 hours.
Check out my demo video for making 24-hour SCD yogurt in the Instant Pot.
Subscribe to my YouTube channel to keep up with all my SCD videos!
- SCD Recipe: No-Cook Avocado-Coconut Pudding – Dairy-Free - September 16, 2020
- SCD Recipe: Fig Crumble Bars - August 29, 2020
- SCD Tip: Easy One Ingredient Pineapple Ice – No Sugar - August 20, 2020