I’ve been experimenting with trying to make a Specific Carbohydrate Diet pudding for a while now. Since cornstarch isn’t allowed, it’s hard to get pudding to thicken the right way. I’m happy to say this lime pudding came out great!
Since the weather has been so warm lately, I decided to freeze some into pudding pops, which turned out to be a nice, refreshing treat.
To thicken the pudding I used eggs, which really makes this a soft custard. There are a couple of important things to remember when combing eggs with hot milk (coconut milk in this case) –
- Temper the eggs by slowing adding the milk to the beaten egss, while whisking. This keeps the eggs from scrambling in the liquid and creating lumps.
- Patience: Stir the mixure over medium-low heat until it thickens. Cooking too fast will creat lumps and can burn the mik.
You can also easily make a lemon pudding by substituting lemon juice for the lime.
SCD Recipe: Lime Pudding and Pudding Pops
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 cup full-fat canned coconut milk
Add eggs, lime juice, and honey to a large bowl
Mix on high speed for 5 minutes
Add coconut milk to a medium saucepan
Heat milk over medium-low heat until it just starts to warm up
While whisking egges, slowly add the conconut milk about one tablespoon at a time until it is all combined
Pour mixture back into the saucepan and return to heat
Stir for 10 to 15 minutes until mixture thickens
Remove from heat
Pour into ramekins and/or a popsicle mold
Allow to cool to room temperature
Refrigerate pudding. Place popsicle mold in freezer
Chill or freeze for several hours
- SCD Recipe: Easy Vanilla Cashew Butter Candy – Honey Sweetened - January 1, 2021
- SCD Recipe: Figgy Pudding – Grain-Free, Sugar-Free - December 19, 2020
- SCD Recipe: Instant Pot Spinach-Onion-Parmesan Egg Bites - November 19, 2020