Making candy for the Specific Carbohydrate Diet (SCD) takes some practice, but it’s well worth the effort to make the occasional treat. I consider candy to be a more advanced SCD food and something that should be tried once symptoms are clear.
You can make these any time of year, but I made these for Halloween. I found some cute silicon molds at Michaels for a good price. Silicon works the best because it’s easy to pop the candy out of them, but you could also use paper baking cups and muffin pans.
Cocoa butter is a more premium ingredient that I only use every once in a while. Typically I make candy using coconut butter and regular butter, which is great as well. Since I was making ghosts I wanted the candy to come out as close to white as I could so I used Heavenly Organics White Honey, but you can use any kind you like or have on hand.
For the pumpkin butter I just made a quick mix of pureed pumpkin, cashew butter, honey, and some spices. You can make your own puree from cooked pumpkin or you can buy and SCD-friendly canned kind like Libby’s.
Check out some of my favorite SCD products in my SCD Amazon store.
SCD White Chocolate and White Chocolate Pumpkin Butter Cups
- 3 tbsp pumpkin puree (make your own or use an SCD-friendly type like Libby's)
- 1/4 cup cashew or almond butter (you can also use coconut butter to keep it nut-free)
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- 1/8 tsp ground ginger
- 1 dash sea salt
- 1 cup raw cocoa butter pieces
- 1/4 cup coconut butter
- 1 1/2 tbsp coconut or MCT oil
- 2 tbsp canned coconut milk (full fat)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 2 tbsp honey (use a light color if you want the candy to be close to white)
Pumpkin Butter Filling
Add all pumpkin butter filling ingredients to mixing bowl
Mix until well-combined
Add little bits to your desired candy mold. If using a thin mold like the pictured pumpkins - use a small amount. The cups with more filling tended to break apart when removing from the mold.
Making the SCD White Chocoloate
Add cocoa butter, coconut butter, coconut oil, and coconut milk to a small saucepan or double-broiler
Heat over low heat, stirring constantly, until all ingredients are melted and combined.
Remove from heat and stir in vanilla and honey
Pour candy mix carefully into your molds - silicon works best, but you can also use paper baking cups in muffin pans - regular or mini
Freeze candy for at least an hour before eating. I found it easiest to place all the molds on a cutting board and then placing on a freezer shelf. The candy will look yellow when it's warm.
It will look white once it's chilled
Store in freezer
- SCD Recipe: Easy Vanilla Cashew Butter Candy – Honey Sweetened - January 1, 2021
- SCD Recipe: Figgy Pudding – Grain-Free, Sugar-Free - December 19, 2020
- SCD Recipe: Instant Pot Spinach-Onion-Parmesan Egg Bites - November 19, 2020