Wings were my specialty when it was my turn to make dinner when I was a teenager. I haven’t made them in a really long time, but since I was trying to think of some Super Bowl party recipes, I figured now was a good time.
This recipe is based on my grandmother’s wing recipe. It’s not too spicy, but if you are so inclined you can add more chili powder.
SCD Recipe: Honey Lime Chicken Wings – Slow Cooker
- 2.5 lbs chicken wing pieces
- 1 cup tomato juice
- 2 tsp garlic minced
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp mustard
- 1 tbsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp chili powder (make sure it’s SCD friendly)
Whisk tomato juice, garlic, lime juice, honey, apple cider vinegar, mustard, salt, and pepper in a large bowl until it is well combined
Add chicken wings
Cover and let marinate in refrigerator for at least six hours or overnight
Add wings and marinade to slow cooker
Cook for six to seven hours on the low setting
If you don’t want to use a slow cooker – bake in 400 degree oven for 30 – 40 minutes until wings are cooked through.
If you want to make ahead of time you can freeze the wings. Discard the marinade, store in freezer-safe container, and freeze for up to six months.
To reheat – preheat oven to 375 degrees. Add two tablespoons of water to a baking dish. Lay chicken wings out in a single layer and bake covered for about 30 minutes until wings are hot.
- SCD Recipe: Easy Vanilla Cashew Butter Candy – Honey Sweetened - January 1, 2021
- SCD Recipe: Figgy Pudding – Grain-Free, Sugar-Free - December 19, 2020
- SCD Recipe: Instant Pot Spinach-Onion-Parmesan Egg Bites - November 19, 2020