Roasted peanuts, coconut, dates – a tasty flavor combo! Date-nut balls are a favorite of mine to make, espcially when SCD-friendly bars are hard to find in the store (LARA and RX are crossed off that list).
But if you can’t find one that’s SCD approved, it’s okay! You can make they yourself – and they are even better than those store-bought ones. I like making bite-size, but you can also form these into full bars if you like.
If you were a fan of Chick-O-Stick, you might find these to be a nostalgic flavor combo – these aren’t crunch, but they are packed with a sweet peanut and coconut flavor.
I use roasted peanuts, which grind into a peanut butter texture in the process of combining with the dates. The cashews won’t get as as creamy, giving them a slight, but satisying, crunch.
The trick to making smooth date balls or bars that aren’t crumbly is to be patitent with the food processor. Let it process for several minuts until the mix forms a ball – then you’ll know it’s ready.
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do!
Want my recipes emailed directly to you? Be sure to sign up!
Join in the dicussion! I started a new Facebook Group – Happy Gut For Life – Beyond SCD Discussion Group where we can talk about any SCD subjects including introducing new foods that may be outside the diet. Come check it out – I’ll be disussing my own successes and failures on this topic and it’s a great place to connect with others who are exploring SCD and beyond SCD foods.
SCD Peanut Butter-Coconut Engery Balls
- 12 Medjool Dates
- ½ cup dry roasted Spanish peanuts If roasting your own peanuts – see instructions below
- ¼ cup raw cashews
- ¼ cup shredded coconut (make sure unsweetened with nothing added)
- 1 Tbsp shredded coconut for rolling balls in (optional)
- 2 cups Spanish Peanuts shelled (or you can roast in shell and then shell) This will be more than you need for this recipe, but you can use to make peanut butter or in other recipes
- ½ tsp salt (optional)
Remove pits from dates and roughly chop
All chopped dates, peanuts, cashews, and ¼ cup shredded coconut to food processor
Process on high speed for 3 – 5 minutes until mixture forms a ball – be patient!
Scoop small spoonfulls of the mxture and roll into ½" – 1" balls
Rolls balls in shredded coconut to coat
Store in refrigerator or freezer
Heat oven to 350F°
Line shallow baking pan or cookie sheet with parchment paper
Spread peanuts in an even layer in the pan
Bake for 15 – 20 minuts for shelled nuts or 20 – 25 minuts for peanuts still in the shell
Allow them to cool for at least 10 minutes before using – nuts will continue to cook for a few minutes when they are outside the oven
- SCD Recipe: No-Cook Avocado-Coconut Pudding – Dairy-Free - September 16, 2020
- SCD Recipe: Fig Crumble Bars - August 29, 2020
- SCD Tip: Easy One Ingredient Pineapple Ice – No Sugar - August 20, 2020