Hazelnut and chocoloate is a classic flavor combination. Since starting the Specific Carbohydrate Diet (SCD) I haen’t been able to indulge in that particular flavor combination, but since I have some raw cocoa butter in my fridge, I thought it would be fun to try some sort of approximation.
I whipped up these date bites in only a few minutes and they are very tasty. I love that when they’re chilled the cocoa butter solidifies to a very satisfying smooth texture. These bites are a great snack and something I love to have on hand in my refrigerator or freezer.
If you don’t have any cocoa butter, you can substitute melted coconut oil instead. It will create about the same texture when it’s chilled.
SCD Hazelnut Cocoa Butter Date Bites
- 2 cups Medjool dates (about 15) make sure to remove the pits
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 1 1/2 cups hazelnuts
- 1/4 cup melted cocoa butter
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 Tsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 cup shredded cococut (unsweetened)
To melt the cocoa butter, put about a half cup of pieces in a small saucepan
Heat over medium heat until it's mostly melted and you can only see a couple of solid pieces
Remove from heat and set aside. The remaining pieces should melt
Add dates, nuts, sea salt, and melted cocoa butter to food processor
Process on high until everything is in small crumbles - 1 - 2 minutes
Spread shredded coconut on a cutting board or some parchment paper
Form crumbles into balls with your hands
Roll balls in shredded coconut to coat
Chill in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes to allow them to solidify
Store in refrigerator or freezer
- SCD Recipe: Easy Vanilla Cashew Butter Candy – Honey Sweetened - January 1, 2021
- SCD Recipe: Figgy Pudding – Grain-Free, Sugar-Free - December 19, 2020
- SCD Recipe: Instant Pot Spinach-Onion-Parmesan Egg Bites - November 19, 2020