I’m very excited about this custard. I’ve tried making custard several times since starting SCD – using dry curd cottage cheese, home made yogurt or a combination of both and it’s never turned out all that good.
This time – using coconut milk – it turned out just like regular custard. It had the taste and texture of real custard.
For the coconut milk I used the full fat Natural Value Coconut Milk. The thing to look for when buying canned coconut milk is that it not have guar gum, carageenan, sugar or any other non-SCD ingredients.
1 14 oz can coconut milk
3 tbsp honey
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
dash cinnamon (optional)
dash nutmeg (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Whisk eggs, honey and vanilla together, set aside
- In a medium saucepan heat coconut milk over medium-low heat until it just starts to simmer
- Spoon a couple of tablespoons in with the eggs and whisk briskly
- Slowly add the rest of the milk to the eggs while whisking – it’s very important to whisk and add the coconut milk slowly because if you do it too fast it will cook the eggs and scramble them in your mixture
- Pour mixture into ramekins – or whatever baking dish you like to prepare custard in (may change cooking time) – I used two mini pie dishes
- Dust with cinnamon and nutmeg if desired
- Place ramekins in a large baking pan pour in hot water around them so it comes about half way up
- Place in oven and bake for 50 – 60 minutes until custard looks firm on top
- Cool on baking rack and then store in refrigerator
Latest posts by Sherry Lipp (see all)
- SCD Recipe: Instant Pot Holiday Cider - December 25, 2018
- SCD Recipe: Savory Pastry Dough - December 16, 2018
- SCD Spotlight: The Specific Carbohydrate Association - December 2, 2018