I made this last night and it turned out so good I thought I would share.
I have always had a little trouble cooking a perfect steak, but last night I think I finally got the hang of it!
I used a cast iron grill pan, but you could also use a regular pan – though cast iron is the best (even it’s not a grill pan).
Filet Mignon steaks about 1 inch thick – grass fed
butter – grass fed if possible
- Remove steaks from refrigerator 30 minutes before cooking – steaks should be at room temperature before they go into a hot pan (this is where I have gone wrong in the past)
- Coat both sides of the steaks generously with coarse sea salt and pepper – you can add any other seasonings you like as well – I had a rosemary sea salt I used.
- Heat pan over medium-high heat – or just a little below that – I turned my dial two notches past medium
- Allow the pan to heat up all the way before adding meat – I set my timer for five minutes to allow it to heat
- Add olive oil to coat the bottom of the pan and little butter – maybe about half a tablespoon
- Add steaks
- Cook for just under 4 minutes per side for medium-rare – use tongs to flip – don’t stab the steaks while cooking!
- I used to meat thermometer and it was about 140 degrees when I removed the steaks from the pan (leave the thermometer in if you use one so juices don’t run out)
- When steaks are cooked place them on a plate.
- Add a tiny bit of butter – I used a 1/4 tsp – but you can use more if you like
- Allow steaks to rest for 5 – 6 minutes before serving
Latest posts by Sherry Lipp (see all)
- SCD Recipe: Watermelon Sherbet - May 6, 2018
- SCD Recipe: Fluffy Vanilla Waffles - April 22, 2018
- Product Review: Liberated Specialty Foods SCD Pizza Crust - April 16, 2018